All Over Again
19/09/2010 § 1 Comment
Dear Beloved Readers,
I have made it to Scotland. It’s funny how it’s barely been 24 hours and yet I’ve learned/remembered about a million things about living abroad. Some are delightfully familiar, but others are just downright annoying.
1. Flying the ocean. I love flying.
2. Seeing new things. It’s so beautiful here, and while some things seem very other worldly, it’s so nice to be in an English speaking culture that it doesn’t really seem like I’m living so far away. If I can still read and understand people, I can’t possibly have gone that far.
3. I hate the post-move-in-why-the-hell-did-i-decide-to-do-this feeling. It hits you in the gut and then leaves you to sit there looking at the most butt ugly curtains ever. And then there’s really nothing you can do about it as it lingers. and lingers. and lingers.
4. I forgot how much my shoulders hurt after carrying groceries from one side of the town to another. My puny little arms are about to fall off.
5. I have a real student i.d. This is a legit school. Not like that fake school I went to before. How fantastic!
6. God has a funny sense of humor. The first thing he is trying to teach me here is how to fix a broken toilet. And I’m not really a how things work person. I just like it when they do work and decide instead to just marvel at its goodness as opposed to trying to figure out why it worked. But, I have figured out how to make it flush. Though not by pushing the button. Which is in several pieces on the counter.
8. I can smell the sea and hear the seagulls from my room.